Wednesday, June 30, 2010

06.30.2010 Where did June go?

yep, last day of June. I'm not sure just how this happened, but I've somehow misplaced June. I can look back at my calendar and see what happened on which days, but huh...

tomorrow is July 1. July 2 is my 53rd birthday. It's going to be a very different birthday than in past years. No party, I won't even see Dan for the next 5 days so there won't be an awkward "oh should i have gotten you a present?" kind of moment, no presents to open? I will however see Sam on my birthday - and that's a gift right there!

I'm looking at it as the first birthday of the rest of my life because it'll be the first birthday in 28 years that I won't be celebrating it with Dan, and I'm starting to get into the "I'm single" mind set after being in the "I'm Married" mindset for so long. it's weird - for so long I've had to think "will Dan want to do this?" and now I can think "yep, i want to do this so i'm doing it!"

Anyway i'm going on a road trip - I've got a 4 day weekend set up = and heading out. I'll see some family and reaquaint myself with an old friend!

This old friend - Pam Lock - she was one of my BEST friends when I was a kid. I have no idea how our parents hooked up - but when we were little, the two families camped together often. She's got an older brother Paul - same age as my brother Jim. Mebbe they met up in kindergarten? i'll have to ask. anyyway -i've got lots of memories of us playing with our Barbies, spending new year's eve with them, and such. I have no idea how or why we stopped being such good friends - but i'm hoping to amend that now.

She's a math/science teacher in a small town outside of Kankakee, IL. and I found her on Facebook. I am really looking forward to seeing her again.

I really wanted meatloaf a few weeks ago - and after finding a basic recipe on the internet, and after talking to a friend about HIS meatloaf and how he makes it, I made a really yum version - I'll put in the recipe here..

YUM Meatloaf

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 lb tube maple breakfast sausage

3 eggs
1/2 cup soy milk
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 big squish of ketchup
1 big squish of yellow mustard

1 chopped onion if you have it

Throw everything into a big bowl and smoooosh it all together. Spray a big glass casserole dish with Pam (or the equivalent) and then dump the mixture into it and spread it out.

Cook in a 325 oven for at least an hour - check for doneness after that...i ended up cooking it for about 80 minutes.

it's very yum - of course, with the maple sausage and the brown sugar, it's a sweeter version than your common meat loaf. And that's ok with me. My sister thought perhaps i could do away with the fat/salt content of the maple breakfast sausage if I substituted with another pound of ground turkey and some maple syrup. I might try that next time just to see.

anyway - it makes a lot of meatloaf - so i kept half in the fridge and froze the other half. Very yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment